2018 Course Registration
To Register, call 888-823-8734 or 604-504-7441. Please provide the Course number you wish to register for. All costs quoted are in Canadian dollars (conversion applied at current exchange rate.)
- STARTS Jan 15-26: (Course # 20043) Paul Brodie, 10 sessions, Mon-Fri, 8 am – 4 pm, $2,950
- STARTS Mar 12-23: (Course # 20013) Paul Brodie, 10 sessions, Mon-Fri, 8 am – 4 pm, $2,950
- STARTS Jun 4-15: (Course # 40008) Paul Brodie, 10 sessions, Mon-Fri, 8 am – 4 pm, $2,950
- STARTS Aug 13-24: (Course #40156) Paul Brodie, 10 sessions, Mon-Fri, 8 am – 4 pm, $2,950
- STARTS Sep 10-21: (Course #80068) Paul Brodie, 10 sessions, Mon-Fri, 8 am – 4 pm, $2,950
- STARTS Oct 22-Nov 2: (Course #80057) Paul Brodie, 10 sessions, Mon-Fri, 8 am – 4 pm, $2,950
- STARTS Nov 19-30: (Course #80150) Paul Brodie, 10 sessions, Mon-Fri, 8 am – 4 pm, $2,950
INSTRUCTOR: Paul Brodie
- Learn the art of steel frame building in this “hands on” two (2) week course. Location is UFV, in the Aerospace Centre, 30645 Firecat Avenue, Abbotsford, BC. [Map It from UFV]
- Class size is limited to (4) students. Minimum age is 15.
- Brief MTB history
- Frame design / geometry
- Tube selection
- Full scale drawing
- Shop safety
- Tube mitreing
- Jigs and fixtures
- Welding / brazing
- Finish work
- Students need to have a clear idea of what style of bike they want to build and their choice of front fork.
Hi Students, Here is some basic information to help you prepare for Framebuilding 101.
Firstly, please remember this is Framebuilding 101, not Framebuilding 301. I know there is sometimes a BIG temptation to want to add as many features as possible to your frame, but this is not always wise. It takes most students the full two weeks to finish a basic frame without doing anything fancy. I don’t want to discourage you from trying something a little different, but if you take on too much you run the risk of NOT finishing your frame. If you are unsure, please email me and we can discuss what you are thinking.
TIRE SIZE: You need to know tire size. This means the actual diameter and the width. Better still, a cardboard cutout of the tire’s profile which lets you know exactly where the widest point is. This is very important for your full-scale drawing. For example, it is NOT enough to simply know that you are using 700c rims. Knowing the exact diameter and width will allow you to accurately draw the clearance for the chain and seat stays instead of simply guessing, which is not good!
FORKS: You need to know the type of fork you will be using. There are two measurements that are critical. 1) the offset, or rake, and 2) the axle to crown measurement. You cannot complete your drawing without these. If you have a bike you are currently riding, it is good to bring that, if possible. It’s a good starting point for discussion of your frame drawing, even if you don’t like some of the measurements or angles on your current bike.
CABLE ROUTING: If you are using a front derailleur, you need to know if it is top pull or bottom pull for cable routing.
In summary, the more information you have the better. That way you will be able to focus more energy on building a great frame!
- Frame material is 4130 cro-mo, TIG welded or fillet brazed. Sorry, no lugs.
- Wheel sizes: 26″ / 650B or 27.5″ / 700c or 29″
- Brake mounts: disc or V-brake. Style: MTB / single speed / cyclocross / road / cruiser
- Paint: not supplied
- $2,800 for the two (2) week course, no GST. Mon-Fri, 8am to 4pm.
- Some frame building parts have a higher cost than others. This course is based on an “average” tube set, dropouts and braze-ons. If you opt for premium components, there may be an up-charge.
- Bicycle gruppos will be available (for course participants) at wholesale pricing. Please let us know in advance if you are interested.
- Due to the ever-changing nature of the bicycle industry, UFV reserves the right to alter its curriculum at any time, for the betterment of its classes.
- If you need accommodation, UFV offers guest housing. The cost is currently $50 + GST per night. They also offer Backpacker Accommodation – $35.00 + GST a night (without bedding and towels).
On March 23, 2015, Global News aired an interview with yours truly. If you’d like to watch it and get a sense of what the course is about, here is the link to Bike Design 101 with Brodie Bikes.